Supervising Agent: Natalie Lakosil
Duration: Minimum of 3 months
Hours: 5-10 per week (flexible)
Unpaid/College Credit Only
Internships are offered on a rolling basis. If proactive, entrepreneurial, passionate, driven and dedicated describe you, please apply!
Please note: this internship program is intended as a resume building and learning experience, and will not lead to a job at the duration of the program.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Administrative duties, including database (website) organization, cross-checking contracts and royalty statements, assisting with agency illustration mailers, and others, as needed
- Judging merit of manuscripts in the slush pile (unsolicited submissions) and alerting agent to projects with potential
- 2nd reader on projects under consideration for publication, including meeting with agent to discuss ways in which the project could become more marketable or successful, and providing general comments on its viability for the marketplace.
- Handling outgoing, rejected manuscripts: ensuring writers receive responses in a timely manner
- Compiling and assisting with submission list research and pitch letters
Training and orientation student will receive:
- Meetings with Supervising Agent to discuss merit of projects from different genres, as well as industry trends within different segments of publishing (i.e. children’s, mystery, etc.)
- Training on various computer applications including MS Word, MS Excel, Google Drive
- Training on editing, critique and revision for manuscripts across a variety of genres
- Training on submission process, contracts, and publishing industry
- Ongoing guidance on duties and responsibilities
Must be available at least one day per work-week (Mon-Fri) for meetings and training in-office.
Office located in San Diego, CA.
If interested, please send a resume and cover letter, including the last four books read and preferred/favorite genres, to email@example.com